Posted October 2016
- The Communication Department is beyond excited to accept the National Communication Association’s 2016 Basic Course Program of Excellence Award for COMM 1000!
- Interested in internships? Check out our Intern Homecoming on Monday, October 24. Make sure to register—networking and pizza included!
- Thanks to all who joined us for our first Communication Open House on October 5th. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
Posted September 2016
- Come join us for the Department of Communication Open House on Wednesday, October 5, from 2—4pm. Guests will have the opportunity to learn about what’s happening in COMM through presentations and interactive demos while mingling with friends, faculty, grad students and enjoying refreshments!
- The Martin Horn Scholarship is now accepting applications through November 11th. Click here for scholarship requirements and application instructions!
- Our undergraduate advising office now has a weekly newsletter, The COMMuniquè. Every Wednesday this will provide you with all of the information and updates that you need! Haven’t been receiving the emails? Contact Joel Nebres to get set up.
Posted August 2016
- Our COMM advising office will meet with students on a walk-in basis only, until the Add-Drop deadline of Mon Sept 12.
Posted July 2016
- Jia “James” Lun ’17 (CLAS) is featured in UConn Today’s article titled Student’s IDEA Connects Cooking, Communication, Chinese Cuisine.
Posted June 2016
- Jacqueline Pagano ’16 (CLAS) was featured in the Women’s Center May newsletter (pages 6 & 10!)—check it out!
Posted May 2016
- Congrats grads! Thank you to everyone who joined us in celebration on Saturday, May 7! Here’s a look at the Comm Commencement Reception!
Posted April 2016
- Seniors: tickets are now available ($5/person) for our Communication Commencement Reception on May 7th. Stop by Arjona 228 to purchase your tickets!
- Congratulations to Jessica Kirchner, the winner of Comm Society’s 3rd annual Public Speaking Competition. Thank you to everyone who was involved!
- Congratulations to Dr. Amanda Denes on being awarded AAUP’s Early Career Teaching Excellence award!
Posted March 2016
- Follow us on Twitter! — @uconncomm
- The 3rd annual Public Speaking Competition is April 4th! Interested in competing? Entries are due March 20th.
- Advising office walk-in hours: Mondays & Wednesdays: 10-11:30 am; Tuesdays & Thursdays: 2-3:30 pm
Posted February 2016
- Doctoral student Zeus Simeoni will be defending his dissertation proposal on Friday, March 11. Learn more >
- Doctoral student Sara Picklesimer will be defending her dissertation proposal on Monday, February 29. Learn more >
- Newly accepted Comm majors: Check here for upcoming dates for the mandatory New Major Meeting.
Posted January 2016
- The Comm Advising Office will be accepting walk-in appointments starting Tuesday, Jan. 19 to Friday, Jan. 29 from 9-12pm and 1-3:30pm.
Posted December 2015
- Students: The communication major application is now available for Spring 2016. Deadline to apply is January, 29. Apply here >
Posted November 2015
- Sagine Philitas ’16 (CLAS) wrote an op-ed titled No One Ever Taught Me About Mental Health that was published in the Hartford Courant as a part of their Fresh Talk series.
- The Department of Communication is currently inviting applications for five open positions. Read the full job postings.
- Doctoral student Kyle Hull will be defending his dissertation on Friday, December 4. Learn more >
- Doctoral student Joshua Fishlock will be defending his dissertation proposal on Thursday, December 10. Learn more >
- Doctoral student Kivy Weeks will be defending her dissertation proposal on Wednesday, December 16. Learn more >
Posted October 2015
- Comm majors: Don’t miss the opportunity to apply for this year’s Martin Horn Scholarship! Applications are due by Friday, Nov. 6.
- Doctoral student Tonghoon Kim will be defending his dissertation proposal on Wednesday, November 11. Learn more >
- Doctoral student Yerina Ranjit will be defending her dissertation on Wednesday, October 28. Learn more >
Posted September 2015
- Explore Careers in Comm-related fields with UConn alumni on Wednesday, Sept. 30. Here’s the info >
- Join Dr. Kory Floyd as he discusses The Importance of Being Prosocial on Tuesday, October 6. More info >
- Explore Careers in Communication with UConn alumni on Wednesday, Sept. 16. Here’s the info >
- Starting Monday, Sept. 14 the advising office walk-in hours will be Mon/Wed 10-11am and Tuesdays 2:00-3:30pm.
- Doctoral student Tai-Yee Wu will be defending his dissertation prospectus on September 28. Learn more >
Posted August 2015
- The Communication Advising Office will only be taking walk-in appointments Aug. 31 through Sept. 11. Walk-in hours will be from 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm.
- Doctoral student Yue Wu will be defending his dissertation on Monday, August 31. Learn more >
- The communication major application is now available. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 11. Apply here >
- Doctoral student Yi Wang will be defending her dissertation on Thursday, August 20. Learn more >
Posted July 2015
- Catch up with what’s happening in Comm with this year’s edition of The Communicator brought to you by the Communication Society.
- Read about a study by Comm faculty Saras Bellur and Kristine Nowak and PhD student Kyle Hull on the multitasking habits of college students, featured in UConn Today.
- Looking for something to do? Top 10 Things to Do at UConn This Summer, written by Abby Mace ’16 (CLAS), is the perfect article to help you spend a great day on campus!
Posted June 2015
- The department is currently inviting applications for Professor and Department Head. Read the full job posting.
- Professors Amanda Denes and Rory McGloin and student Olivia Kamisher discuss their research on “catfishing” in online dating with NBC Connecticut. Read more about their study in Too Hot to Trust.
- Doctoral student Yue Wu will be defending his dissertation prospectus on Thursday, June 25. Learn more >
- Doctoral student Yi Wang will be defending her dissertation prospectus on Wednesday, June 24. Learn more >
- Professor Mark Hamilton named scientist of the week by Laboratory Equipment Magazine. Read the interview with him about his article on astrology.
Posted May 2015
- Doctoral student Melanie Savelli will be defending her dissertation on Friday, June 5. Learn more >
- Doctoral student Kyle Hull will be defending his dissertation prospectus on Wednesday, June 3. Learn more >
- Congratulations to Erica Morawski for winning the Outstanding Senior Women Academic Achievement Award!
Posted April 2015
- Congratulations to one of our very own graduate students, Kyle Hull, on being awarded UConn’s Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award for 2015.
- UCTV News is hosting a meet and greet event and anchor auditions on Tuesday, April 28th. Don’t miss out! Learn more >
- Congratulations to Jessica Kirchner, the winner of UConn’s 2nd annual Public Speaking Competition.
Posted March 2015
- The Keys to a Stress Free Enrollment — stop by the Homer Babbidge Library March 29-31 from 12-6 pm to get your registration questions answered!
- Students: Looking for an internship this summer? Attend the NBC internship event that will be held on Tuesday, March 24th. More info here >
- Read UConn Today’s article to learn about a new study done by Professors Rory McGloin and Kirstie Farrar!
- Students: Join UConn alumni as they discuss their careers in Communication on Tuesday, March 24th! Check it out >
Posted February 2015
- The Comm department will have a great showing at this year’s International Communication Association conference in May. Check out Prof. Anne Oeldorf-Hirsch’s shout-out tweet!
- UConn’s 2nd annual Public Speaking Competition is Monday, April 13th! Submit an audition video by Sunday, March 22nd if you’d like to join.
Posted January 2015
- Congratulations to Marya Fratoni and Lisa Maresca on their Honorable Mentions in the UConn Intern of the Year competition. Marya did her internship in Athletic Communication, with UConn Athletics, and Lisa did her internship with TRCo Marketing, North America.
Posted December 2014
- Congratulations to Erin Craw, a Journalism and Communication major who was named this year’s recipient of the Martin Horn Scholarship.