Communication Minor

Want to Minor in Communication?

Students may declare the COMM minor at any time. However, there is no guarantee of getting into all required classes and completing the minor. Seats in COMM classes are prioritized for Communication majors first. Seats will be made open to Communication minors after majors have been given the opportunity to register.

To declare the minor:

1) Go to

2) Select “add a minor”

3) Select “communication’ from the drop down menu

4) Fill out the remainder of the form and submit

Then during your final semester:

1) Complete the minor plan of study in StudentAdmin. If you haven’t declared your minor at least four weeks prior to applying to graduate, please fill out the Communication Minor Plan of Study with the courses you completed/are taking and grades. Put “IP” for those in progress. You will have to then visit a COMM advisor during walk-in hours to have it signed.


Listed below are the requirements for students wishing to complete a minor in Communication:

University Requirements as listed in the University Catalog:

1.  Students must be seeking a baccalaureate degree from the University of Connecticut.

2.  The student must earn a C or better in EACH course in the Minor.

Communication Minor Program Requirements:

You must earn at least 15 credits in 2000–level COMM courses; these must include:

1. COMM 3000Q or equivalent research methods course. If an equivalent research methods course is used, 15 credits in 2000-level or above COMM courses are required.

2.  AT LEAST two from the following core courses: COMM 3100, 3200, and 3300. Students are welcome to take all three core courses.

3.  Only one (three credits) can be an Applied course from the following list: COMM 4800, 4820, 4940, 4992, 4991. Students are not required to have any applied courses and are free to take any of the Communication Theory courses to fulfill the minor requirement.

4.  The Communication Advisor’s permission is needed for COMM 4995, 4998. These courses are not required.

5.  A final copy of this Plan of Study must be filed with the Registrar during the first four weeks of the semester in which you plan to graduate. Please note: if you have declared the minor 4 weeks prior to applying to graduate, you will be able to complete the minor Plan of Study on-line, in StudentAdmin. If you have never formally declared the minor but have met the requirements and are graduating, you must complete a paper minor Plan of Study and have it signed by an COMM advisor in Arjona 245. Minor POS forms will only be signed during walk-in hours.

For more information, email us at, or stop by the COMM Advising Office, located in Arjona 245.