The mission of the Department of Communication is to pursue theoretically grounded research and to disseminate knowledge by publishing our research and by helping others learn about Communication. The Department contributes to the community through outreach efforts, excellent teaching, and by conducting and presenting socially meaningful empirical research. Recipients of this award will contribute to this mission. The scholarship committee will select one recipient to receive the $1000 scholarship*.
To be eligible for this scholarship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Communication major of Junior or Senior standing, enrolled full‐time at the University.
- Provide evidence of specific academic or extracurricular activities or accomplishments related to the mission of the Department of Communication.
- Have an active role in community outreach and/or public service projects.
- Display academic excellence in Communication.
- Completed the following (must be graded):
- COMM 1000 – The Process of Communication
- COMM 1100 – Principles of Public Speaking
- Two additional Communication courses – one of which must be at the 2000-level or higher
- Describe the ways in which this scholarship will positively impact your academic and career goals.
- Submit the completed application and all supporting documents prior to Tuesday, March 1st at 5:00 p.m.
*The recipient of the award will be required to submit a letter to the Undergraduate Committee detailing how the funds were used to advance their career goals at the end of the year.
- Complete the questions on this page in a separate document: Written Document
- This file should be saved in the following format: <last name> Written Document
- Ex: “Smith Written Document.pdf”
- Create an unofficial copy of your University of Connecticut transcript as a PDF. This transcript must include your Fall 2021 grades.
- This file should be saved in the following format: <last name> Transcript
- Ex: “Smith Transcript.pdf”
- Click the link below to fill out the application and attach both your written document (#1 above) and your unofficial transcript (#2 above) as PDFs in the appropriate fields at the end of the application form.
All scholarship applications must be submitted on time with all of the required materials to be considered.
All scholarship applicants will be notified by e-mail when a decision is made.
Students should expect to receive a notification on or before March 31, 2022.
*All scholarships will be administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid Services. If you are a need-based financial aid recipient (loans, grants, work-study employment) your financial aid package may be revised as a result of this award. If no adjustment is necessary and your fee bill is paid in full, you may be entitled to a refund. If you have questions about how a scholarship could affect your financial aid package, please call (860)486-2819.