Department of Communication
Associate Director of Communication Programming and Development, Professional Education Program, UConn School of Engineering;
Associate Director for Entrepreneurial Communication and Research, Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation;
Visiting Professor, School of Communication and Media, Ulster University
Ph.D., University of Connecticut, 2011
Rory McGloin, Ph.D. is an award-winning business communication professor at the University of Connecticut. Rory’s career in higher education spans 17+ years, including engagements with over 10,000 learners to date and 37 peer-reviewed publications. In addition to this, Rory serves as the Associate Director of Communication Programming and Development for the UConn School of Engineering’s Professional Education Program as well as serving as the Associate Director for Entrepreneurial Communication and Research with the Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Rory’s current research is focused on the process of training and development, examining the influence of individual identities and values on perceptions of a program’s impact. Rory is also interested in developing the business communication skills of entrepreneurs and executives and conducts research that examines how mindsets and motivations influence program participants. Rory works closely with graduate students who are interested in organizational communication, professional development, and entrepreneurship. Rory also continues to share his passion with students in the classroom as he leads courses on professional and business communication for the University of Connecticut’s top-ranked MBA and Executive MBA programs.
Rory has been recognized for his outstanding contributions to both his profession and his communities and was honored to be recognized in the Hartford Business Journal’s class of 2023 40 Under 40 Honorees. Rory also received a 40 Under 40 Honor in 2022 from The Irish Echo newspaper, the longest running Irish-American news outlet in the USA.
Rory is passionate about applying his work to create and deliver professional communication training and development solutions for organizations and their teams. Rory specializes in helping organizations identify their core values and works to align an organization’s vision with specific tactics and strategies that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of their team communication. Rory is also certified Entrepreneurial Mindset Profile Practitioner and is also known for his engaging and dynamic approach to helping individuals maximize their unique skills and characteristics.
- Comm 1000: Introduction to Communication
- Comm 1100: Principles of Public Speaking
- Comm 1300: Mass Media Systems
- COMM 2100: Professional Communication
- Comm 2110: Presenting in the Digital World
- Comm 3000Q: Research Methods in Communication
- Comm 3100: Persuasion
- Comm 3300: Effects of Mass Media
- Comm 4230: Organizational Communication
- Comm 4800: Communication Processes in Advertising
- Comm 5630: Communication Presence
- Predictors and outcomes of organizational communication training and development
- Entrepreneurial mindset, self-efficacy, and business communication skills
- Characteristics of effective communication amongst leaders
- Perceptions of online source expertise and credibility