Communication Major

Become a COMM Major Today!

Declare the COMM Major through the CLAS Online Program Change Form.


Academic Advising:

As a Communication major, your Academic Advisor will be (at Storrs) either Kathryn D’Antonio or Jose (Joel) Nebres. (For COMM Majors at the regional campus, please consult with your assigned regional campus advisor, but feel free to also reach out to the Storrs campus advisors if you plan to transfer to Storrs.) They can help you learn more about the major, offer guidance on course selection, and assist with other academic questions and issues. For questions concerning the minor, please contact Kathryn.

If you need the signature of an academic advisor, please visit the Communication Advising Office in Arjona, Room 245, during walk-in hours. Otherwise, to schedule an advising appointment, please use Nexus.

Course Offerings and Descriptions

Please visit the UConn Catalog for an up-to-date listing of Communication courses and their official descriptions. We also offer unofficial, but more detailed descriptions.

Plan of Study

As a reference for the required coursework for a Communication major, view the Plan of Study found on our COMM Advising page. On the COMM advising page, you’ll find many helpful resources to help you plan for your semester enrollment and meet your academic requirements. If you need additional assistance, you can also meet with an academic advisor to help with your planning and with reading your Academic Requirements Report each semester.

Related Courses

Related courses are relevant to the Communication discipline but are not Communication (COMM) courses. These courses are required for every COMM major and can be uniquely tailored to the needs of the student, but must be approved by a Communication advisor. See a list of pre-approved related courses.

Tips to Plan Your Coursework:

  1. Take COMM 1000 during your first semester, or as soon as possible, as it is a prerequisite for the Core courses.
  2. By your third semester, you should take COMM 2000Q (formerly 3000Q) and begin tackling the Core courses. Some of the Core courses will be prerequisites for the upper-level, specialized COMM courses that will focus on specialty areas of Communication (e.g. marketing, advertising, PR, etc.)
  3. Start taking related courses or their prerequisites in the fourth semester so that by your senior year, you will have met the 12 credit (minimum) requirement.

Cooperative and Experiential Education

Students can explore career options while gaining actual work experience through internships and co-ops. UConn’s Center for Career Development is the University’s primary resource for career preparation and other career-related services. Through placement in co-op education positions, for example, students can take a semester off from school and work in a full-time, paid, career-related position.

Communication majors participating in the co-op program have worked in areas of public relations, human resources, business development, marketing, advertising, social media management, TV, publishing, and event management. If the co-op job involves a communication-related work, students may be able to receive COMM 4981 (intern) credits. Enrolling in COMM 4981 in order to receive credit for internship work requires approval by the COMM 4981 course instructor. (See the Application to Enroll form found on the COMM 4981 page.) You cannot receive credit for work done prior to enrollment in COMM 4981. Students interested in gaining further information about the Co-op Program should check out the Internship and Co-op Guide found on the UConn Center for Career Development website.